Climbing areas and crags
The tables below list documented climbing areas and crags. The following conventions apply:
- Climbing areas are listed in the following order: starting from the south of the island, proceeding clockwise around the coast, followed by inland crags.
- A climbing area is defined by its access: crags that are normally accessed from the same place are listed together.
- For convenience, crags are listed against their nearest town.
- Where available, links lead to related posts and/or topos.
|Żurrieq||Wied il-Ħallelin||Wied il-Ħallelin|
|Garden of Eden||Għar il-Barbaġann|
|Għar tal-Munqar / Spooky Cave|
|Thaiwand Wall / Pillar Box Cave|
|Wied Babu||Diamond Buttress|
|The Flying Arête|
|Red Wall||Red Wall|
|Wall of Wonders|
|Siġġiewi||Temples / Ħamrija Tower||Cobra Cave|
|Għar Lapsi||McCarthy’s Cave|
|Learning to Fly Cave|
|Fawwara||Miġer Ilma||Miġer Ilma / Fawwara Cave|
|Mtaħleb||Miġra l-Ferħa||Miġra l-Ferħa|
|Baħrija||Fomm ir-Riħ||Ras ir-Raħeb / Spezz Corner||access restricted|
|Ras ir-Raħeb / Clawfinger Corner||access restricted|
|Trozz Walls||access restricted|
|Stucco Walls Boulder||access restricted|
|Qormi||Wied Qirda||Grey Slabs|
|Għargħur||Crazy Horse Cave||Crazy Horse Cave|
|Top of the World||Ċikka Escarpment|
|Naxxar||Crucifix Cave||Monolith Buttress|
|Mosta||Wied il-Għasel||Barbed Wire Buttress|
|Oil Drum Cave|
|Jeff’s Cave / Eye in the Sky|
|Mellieħa||Il-Qammieħ / Bellavista||Il-Qammieħ / Bellavista|
|Il-Latnija Cave||Il-Latnija Cave|
|Mistra||Irdum Irxaw||Irdum Irxaw Exterior|
|Irdum Irxaw Gully|
To be added
|Nadur||San Blas||Tower of Power|
|Sopu Tower Cliffs|
|Lower Sopu Tower|
|Chalice of Malice|
|Daħlet Qorrot||Il-Mixta Cave|
|Għajnsielem||Mġarr ix-Xini||White Walls|
|Mġarr ix-Xini (Waterworks)||Italian Walls|
|Munxar||Wied ix-Xlendi||Wied ix-Xlendi|
|Kerċem||Iċ-Ċnus Slabs||Iċ-Ċnus Slabs|
|Għadira ta’ San Raflu||Għadira ta’ San Raflu|
|Għajn Abdul||Quarry View||access restricted|
|Għarb||The Underworld||The Underworld|
|San Dimitri Point||San Dimitri Point|
|Ħarq il-Ħamiem||Ħarq il-Ħamiem|
|Għasri||Wied il-Mielaħ||Wied il-Mielaħ Arch|
|Wied il-Mielaħ West Side|
|The Cauldron & Upstream Boulder|
|Wied il-Mielaħ East Side|
|Forna Point / Fruitcake Land||Forna Point / Fruitcake Land|
The following Google map shows the location of crags and access details. Please note that the map is a work in progress.
List of guidebooks
The following is a list of known climbing guidebooks for the Maltese islands, current and historical, with the most recent shown first.
- S. Alden, J. Camilleri, and S. Haston, Sport Climbing in Malta & Gozo, Tufa Publications 2013. Available from the MCC or at Agenda Bookshops.
- X. Hancock, The Adventure Guidebook to the Maltese Islands, Hancock Ltd 2009.
- J. Codling, A. Warrington, and R. Abela, Malta Rock Climbing: the comprehensive guide, Moonstone Communications 2007.
- R. Brookes and S. Alden, Malta New Climbs, Fylde Mountaineering Club, 1987.
- J. D. Graham, Rock Climbing in Malta, West Col Productions 1971.
- S. Styles, Walks and Climbs in Malta, Midland Association of Mountaineers 1952.
Many of the climbing routes have bolts and other hardware which has been fixed permanently to the rock. Due to variances in the manner of placement, rock quality, weathering, metal fatigue, the quality of hardware used, and other factors (such as corrosion, rust, tampering with the hardware) these fixed protection fixtures should always be assessed prior to being loaded. It is therefore crucial that participants evaluate the condition of the fixtures and anchors prior to committing themselves. In-situ protection should always be treated with extreme caution. At times fixed protection and anchors can fail catastrophically. Climbers using such bolts and anchors are personally responsible for their own actions and decisions and should seek expert advice or guidance as necessary.